|First steps||Page editing||Page management||Namespaces||Tools and settings|
|Navigation • Registration and login • Helpdesk • Sandbox • How can you help|
A wiki like Ifigenia can be navigated in many ways. Here are some of the basic instructions to help you get quickly used to the wiki environment.
- Contrary to some well known text editors, for which a blank untitled document can be opened and later saved under a filename, the wiki works the other way round: you first determine the name of the page, and open the blank page for editing, then enter the content and save your edit.
- Almost every wiki page allows forward and backward navigation. Forward navigation is accomplished by means of the wikilinks going out from the current one, and the backward navigation is possible by means of the "What links here" tool, showing the incoming links from other pages pointing to the current one. You can navigate both the blue links (to existing pages), as well as the red links (to nonexistent ones); for example, you can see what links to a nonexistent page like the page Example. The list of links is here: Special:Whatlinkshere/Example.
- Almost all pages (except of the images and categories) allow subpages. The navigation from a page to its subpages (if any) occurs by clicking the link "Subpages" in the toolbox to the left and choosing from the list. The reverse navigation, from a subpage to page is by clicking the relevant nodes back to the root, which can be found right in small font size under the subpage name. For example, see page Notes on Intuitionistic Fuzzy Sets/01/1.
- You can navigate the categories vertically: upward to the parent nodes and downward to the children nodes. An easy tool to use for this purpose is Special:CategoryTree.
- All pages (without the Special pages) are paired with corresponding talk pages. For instance the main namespace has adjacent
Ifigenia:namespace has adjacent
Ifigenia talk:namespace, and so on. Every pair of pages is equipped with independent history pages: a page from the
Category:namespace has different history from its adjacent discussion page in
Category talk:namespace. The page histories can be navigated in various ways: by comparison of two consequent versions or comparison of more versions in a row.
- Every user can keep a track of their own contributions, as well as of the contributions of any other editor. The bigger part of the edits are saved in the page histories. A smaller part of other actions (not content edits, but uploads, moves, deletions, etc) are saved in various logs. It is useful to watch pages and regularly check the list of watched pages; it is private and only the user can access his/her own personal watchlist.
The navigation between the different namespaces requires typing in the search engine not only the page name, but also the namespace prefix. For instance, this page is named "Navigation" and it belongs to the Help: namespace. Only the main namespace doesn't have a prefix. The Ifigenia database, can be accessed per namespace, via the special page "All pages". A good starting point for navigation in the category tree is the main category also accessible from the navigation box on the left.
The default character set of Ifigenia is UTF-8. Users who do not use TeX code to write formulae and special characters may choose among a wide range of Unicode symbols in the menus in edit mode. Some web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Safari, are able to display multilingual web pages by intelligently choosing a font to display each individual character on the page. They will correctly display any mix of Unicode blocks, as long as appropriate fonts are present in the operating system. However, Internet Explorer users may have problems with the visualization of placeholder squares instead of Unicode characters.
- Help:Contents with links to other help pages